Monday, January 27, 2014

All the Rage Raglan Sew-Along: And So It Begins

All-the-Rage Raglan Sew-along: And So It Begins...
I confess I am a knit fabric newb. I knew that going into this project and looked forward to learning my favorite way, with a Carla C pattern. I can officially say my first raglan has been a learning experience.

This weekend was a busy one in my household and I found myself starting to cut fabric on Sunday evening so I could get this post up. Sometime between getting a snack for this kid and water for that one and the general refereeing that occurs during the day at my place, I forgot to pay attention to what I was actually doing. Yep, I cut the front and back of both dresses I was making in the wrong direction of the stretch of the fabric. Of course, I did not realize this at the time...

Now, not all of my learning experience was bad. In the beginning when Carla suggested using a straight stitch, I was a little skeptical. And then I reminded myself who was the sewing expert here and changed the length of my stitch as recommended and it worked PERFECTLY. In a surprisingly short amount of time I had a beautiful top with a hood attached. I should also note here that my sparkle jersey is showing the "wrong" side of the fabric. This, however, is not an error but a deliberate stylistic choice by the seamstress (fancy talk for my kids preferred that side to be showing and when I googled, it used that language and said I could do it)

I realized the stretch error at that point and attempted to put it on my youngest. See the picture below to see how well that went. (please ignore the crayon on the wall, my children are very creative, which is a nice way of saying I have no idea how to make them stop coloring on walls).

The excellent news here for me is that since this is such a fast sew, I don't think I'll have any problem making 2 of them this week (with the correct stretch this time) even though my work schedule is full. How is everyone else's raglan going? Anyone want to share a rookie error they made in the past to help ease the sting of my mistake?

No comments:

Post a Comment