Wednesday, January 29, 2014

All the Rage Raglan Sew-Along: Progress

I've spent quite a bit of time with my seam ripper over the past few days. As I mentioned before, I make two of everything and I usually do them assembly line style so if I make a mistake on one, I make a mistake on the other. This method usually saves me time but when I make a big error, as I explained I did on Monday, it makes seam ripping even more tedious. Making it even more difficult this time is the fact that I actually matched my thread perfectly to the sparkle jersey so the stitching joining the hood and sleeves is almost impossible for me to see. Happily, I got one girl's sleeves and hood detached from her top and decided to cut a new front and back and move forward on hers (both in the interest of having progress to post and saving my sanity with a break from seam ripping).

This time when I lined up my pattern on the fabric, I made extra sure I paid attention to those handy little stretch arrows on the pattern piece. I got the front and back cut out and changed the settings on my sewing machine as recommended in the pattern and sewed some sleeves on! I confess I think the best part of working with knits is not having to finish off those seam edges everywhere. As you can see in the photo below, I'm still definitely in the beginning stages of this one but there is progress!

As I've mentioned before, this week is a busy one for me at work (CPA firms tend to get that way the end of January through the middle of April) and so my sewing time during the week is limited to the little bit of time I can squeeze out after my girls go to sleep and before I myself am drooping too badly with exhaustion. Kids Clothes Week is a great reminder for me though to take a bit of time out each day to sew. I've found that if I don't take that time for myself, I end up overly stressed and ready to snap. A very good friend sent me this cute little sign for Christmas this past year and I love having it hanging in my sewing area.

How is everyone else's sewing going? Are you, like me, going one little step at a time or have you completed a raglan this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment